24 Hour Bail Bond Services:


Child Endangerment Bail Bonds

Child Endangerment Bail Bonds

PC 273(a) is the Penal Code that makes endangering a child a crime in the State of California. It lays out the legal definition and possible punishments for someone found guilty of this crime. Many times, child endangerment is not charged alone but is most often an enhancement to another charge, such as driving under the influence. Whether charged alone or as an enhancement to another charge, child endangerment is a serious charge and carries heavy penalties.

If you or someone you love has been arrested on charges of child endangerment, your first call should be to Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds for help in getting out of jail so they can put their life back together. For bail bonds for child endangerment charges, call Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds at (844) 400-BAIL.

Child Endangerment vs Child Abuse

Sometimes, child endangerment is also referred to as Child Abuse. However, this is incorrect. The charge of child abuse is a violation of Penal Code 273d, which makes it a crime to physical harm or abuse a child. But, someone who is charged under the child endangerment code, PC 273a, need only have put a child in POSSIBLE danger.

What is Child Endangerment?

Under California law, child endangerment is when a minor is hurt, mentally or physically, or could possibly be hurt, while under the care of an adult who should have or could have foreseen the possibility of harm.

Specifically speaking, child endangerment may be charged against an individual when the following conditions occur:

  • Causes or permits a minor in their care to suffer unjustifiable pain or mental anguish
  • Willfully causes or permits a minor to be injured
  • Willfully causes or permits a minor to be placed in a dangerous situation

Examples of Child Endangerment

There are a number of situations that, when not handled properly, can result in a child endangerment charge or child endangerment enhancement to another charge. Here are just a few examples of these types of situations:

  • A person keeps a legal gun in their home but has it loaded and fails to secure it, leaving it in a place where it can be reached by a child.
  • Leaving a knife, even a kitchen knife, lying in a low place where a child could easily reach it and hurt themselves.
  • Knowingly leaving an underage child in the care of a person who has a history of child or sexual abuse.
  • Failing to obtain medical treatment for a hurt or sick child in your care.

Failing to ensure the safety and well-being of children in your care can result in the children being removed from the home and charges of child endangerment, as well as other charges, being brought against you.

Charges Related to Child Endangerment

Other charges related to, and sometimes charged in conjunction with, child endangerment are: Child Neglect (Failure to Provide Care), Child Abandonment, Failure to Supervise a Child’s School Attendance, Corporal Injury of a Child (Child Abuse), and Tattooing A Minor.

Child Neglect PC 270

Child Neglect is also called “Failure to provide care” for a child. In California, this crime is covered under Penal Code 270, which states:  

If a parent of a minor child willfully omits, without lawful excuse, to furnish necessary clothing, food, shelter or medical attendance, or other remedial care for his or her child, he or she is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars ($2,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

This means that if a child is sick or hurt, medical treatment must be obtained for the child in a reasonable amount of time. There are allowances, however, for religious considerations. A later paragraph of PC 270 details the extent of the exemptions:

If a parent provides a minor with treatment by spiritual means through prayer alone in accordance with the tenets and practices of a recognized church or religious denomination, by a duly accredited practitioner thereof, such treatment shall constitute “other remedial care”, as used in this section.

It is important to note, however, that in cases of severe injury or illness, charges of child neglect may still be brought against parents who seek prayer alone as an intervention to their child’s illness or injury.

PC 270.1(a) – Failure to Supervise a Child’s School Attendance - Truancy

When children in the State of California are over the age of six and have not yet completed the eighth grade, they are required to attend a public school or be enrolled in an alternative education program, such as private or homeschool. When parents fail to ensure that their children attend school as required by law, they can be charged with Truancy, another name for violating PC 270.1(a).

Truancy Charges for Homeschooled Children in California

According to the Homeschool Association of California, parents in the state who wish to homeschool their children may do so as long as they have established a private school in their home by filing a Private School Affidavit each year with the California Department of Education. They are also required to keep copies of certain documentation in the home, including a copy attendance records, each child’s immunization records, the courses of study offered each school year, the faculty qualification (there is no minimum qualification for the teachers employed by a private school), and a criminal records summary for the faculty.

Alternatively, parents who wish to homeschool their children can enroll them in a private school that offers satellite programs, employ a private tutor to teach their children or hold California teaching credentials themselves, or enroll their children in a public school that offers independent study.

Child Abandonment or Neglect – PC 270.5 (a)

The child abandonment laws require that parent provide food and shelter for their children, either in their own home or someone else’s. Failure to allow a child who has not yet reached the age of 18 to enter their home, without providing an alternative living arrangement, leaves parents open to charges of child abandonment.

PC 271 provides that any parent or person who is responsible for a child must maintain the care and upkeep of that child at least until the child is fourteen. Abandoning the child, or failing to provide support will result in a charge of Child Abandonment or Child Neglect.

Failure to Pay Child Support or Spousal Support

When a court order has been issued providing either spousal or child support from one parent to another, and the parent ordered to pay child support fails to do so, that parent may be charged with child neglect or child abandonment under PC 270(f). This sometimes happens when the custodial parent seeks government assistance in meeting everyday needs and it comes to light that the non-custodial parent is not paying the child support or spousal support that has been ordered.

Corporal Injury of a Child (Child Abuse) – PC 273(d)

California’s Child Abuse Law, also called Corporal Injury of a Child, is detailed among the domestic violence definitions. PC 273(d) makes it a crime to impose physical injury or “cruel punishment” on a child. Violations of PC 273(d) include:

  • Slapping a child so hard that you leave a mark
  • Punching or hitting a teenager for staying out too late or being disrespectful
  • Hitting a child with a belt, harder than is reasonable, as a means of discipline

California’s mandatory reporting laws require that certain professionals report their suspicions that a child’s injury might be the result of abuse. If investigating officials believe that there is a “reasonable fear” that the child is in danger in the home, the child will be removed from the home and placed in an alternative living environment. That living arrangement might be with another family member or in a state licensed home.

Charges of Corporal Punishment of a Child is what is known as a “wobbler” offense. The term “wobbler” refers to the fact that the charge can be a misdemeanor offense or charged as a felony. The factors that influence whether the charges of Corporal Punishment will be made as a misdemeanor or a felony include the severity of the injuries, the evidence available at the time of charging, and the past criminal history of the person being charged.

Is Spanking Child Abuse?

Currently, California law allows for spanking as a means of discipline within certain guidelines. While spanking is not against the law, a person should be careful to ensure that the punishment doesn’t cross the line into child abuse. Spanking that leaves marks, for instance, would be grounds for charges of child abuse. Other considerations are whether or not the spanking is a “reasonable” method of discipline for the infraction involved and whether the punishment reaches the threshold of “excessive.”

Child Endangerment as an Enhancement

Often, child endangerment is not the primary charge against someone or the root reason for an interaction with the police. Many time, child abuse or child endangerment is either discovered as a result of investigating another charge or added on as an enhancement to a charge.

For instance, if a person is drinking and driving with their children in the car, they may be pulled over for suspicion of DUI. Once the police officer has investigated the DUI and found that the driver is, indeed, operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the driving will be charged with DUI or DUI of Drugs. In addition to this charge of Driving While Intoxicated, the driver may also be charged with child endangerment, making the initial charges much more serious and bail for the charges higher than they would have ordinarily been. The charges of child endangerment can also result in the children being removed from the driver’s care and placed in a temporary foster home.

This can result in an emotionally trying time for the family involved. Getting the driver out of jail to fight the DUI charges and home to prove the stability and suitability of the home, is paramount to getting the family life back in order.

If you or someone you care about has been arrested for child endangerment or child abuse, or any of the many other charges closely related to it, make sure your first call is to Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds. They can help you or your loved one get out of jail quickly to begin putting their life back together. Call Mr. Nice Guy at (844) 400-2245.

Arrested For Child Abuse

Charges of child abuse are often coupled with other charges related to domestic violence. Domestic violence calls are some of the most dangerous calls police officers have to field and they are often on high alert when responding to a home with reports of domestic violence.

If the police are called to your home, apartment, or any other location where there is a disturbance, emotions are likely to be running high all the way around. The more you can keep a level head about you and act with restraint toward the police officers and the other party involved, the better things will go. It's important to remember to conduct yourself in such a way that the law enforcement officers don't see you as a threat. This keeps you safe, as well as putting you in a position to be able to calmly explain your side of things to the police.

When dealing with the police, remember:

  • Cooperate with police officers, physically. Don't resist them, even if they feel the need to restrain you.
  • Speak as calmly as possible, if you choose to answer their questions.
  • Don't speak to or yell at the other party in the altercation.
  • Conduct yourself in a dignified way, allowing the officers to see that your behavior was only what was necessary for self-defense.

If you are arrested and charged with battery, the arresting officer should inform you of your Miranda Rights:

  • You have the right to remain silent – They can't make you talk, other than to provide your name, address, and show some sort of identification, upon request.
  • Anything you say can be used against you – If you choose to talk to the authorities, the statements you make can be used against you in court.
  • You have the right to an attorney – You can ask to have an attorney present while they question you. If you ask for an attorney but continue to talk to the officers, while you wait for your attorney, the answers you give can still be used against you.
  • If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you – If you cannot afford an attorney, but would like to have one, the court will appoint an attorney for you, free of charge.

It is important to keep things from escalating in front of the police. If you get angry and strike out against a police officer, new and even more serious charges can be filed against you. Remaining calm and being physically cooperative will work in your favor, as you negotiate the legal path that lies ahead.

In Jail For Child Endangerment

If a person is arrested for child endangerment, or if child endangerment is an enhancement to another crime for which they are arrested, the defendant will be taken to the closest jail for booking and incarceration. The booking process involves a process of identification, including taking pictures and fingerprints of the defendant. Finally, the charges are formally made and the defendant is incarcerated.

Getting Out of Jail After Child Abuse or Child Endangerment Charges Are Made

The fastest way to get someone out of jail after a charge of child endangerment or child endangerment enhancement to another charge is to post bail. Bail is a process utilized in the US since before the Revolutionary War for incarcerated people to achieve freedom until their legal case can reach its conclusion. Without bail, many people would remain behind bars for months, waiting for a trial.

Cash bail is money paid to the court to obtain a defendant’s pretrial release from jail. The money is held by the court and returned to the person who paid it, once their legal proceedings have concluded. If the money was paid by someone other than the defendant, then the money is returned to that person and not the defendant.

How Much is Bail for Child Endangerment?

To figure out how much bail will be required to get someone released from jail, you must first locate the bail schedule for the county in which they have been charged. Once you have the bail schedule, you can complete the felony bail worksheet found here.

You will have to follow several steps:

  • List all of the offenses for which a defendant is being charged.
  • Find the charge with the highest bail schedule amount.
  • If the arrestee is charged with more than one offense, on separate dates or against separate victims, list the amounts of the bail required for those charges and add them to the original charge.
  • Next, find if there are any enhancements that require additional bail. Enhancements include things like:
    • Gang-related offenses
    • Offenses committed with a weapon
    • Does the defendant have any prior convictions?
    • Has the arrestee been in prison during the past five years?
    • Is the victim under 15 or over 65?
  • After finding all base charges and all enhancements, add all of these amounts together to find the total amount of bail that will be required to bail someone out of jail.

If you are having difficulty figuring out how much bail is required to get someone out of jail, we can help. Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds has access to the bail schedules for every county in California. Mr. Nice Guy and his team of licensed, professional bondsmen are experienced in working with local law enforcement agencies to determine the fastest way to get someone out of jail. They can assist you in figuring out exactly how much bail is due.

Call Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds for help in figuring out bail for child endangerment charges today. (844) 400-2245

Bail Bonds For Child Abuse Charges

When the amount of bail needed to get out of jail is more than a person can easily pay, a bail bondsman can be of service. A bail bondsman is a person who is licensed by the state, working with an agency, who can post a “bond” for you, instead of the full amount of your bail. The bail bondsman works with a Surety Company, who is a little like an insurance company. They have certain rules for issuing bonds to help people get out of jail. The person who is in jail pays a fee and the bail bondsman pays the bail.

Then, the person who has been charged with a crime can get back to their job and family, while they wait for trial. The person who had the bond posted for them is promising the bail bondsman that they will continue to show up for all of the hearings and proceedings required by their charges so that the bondsman can get the bail money back from the court.

California state law requires that the bail bondsman charge a 10% premium on bail, in order to post your bond. Sometimes that's just more than you can afford. Mr. Nice Guy understands that bail can be expensive. There are agents standing by at locations near you, to help you get out of jail for a fraction of the cost of bail. If you can't afford the premium, don't sweat it! Mr. Nice Guy has payment plans that can help get you out of jail today, back to work tomorrow, and you can pay as you can afford it.

For more details on bail bonds for child endangerment charges, call Mr. Nice Guy at (844) 400-2245.

Best Price on Child Endangerment Bail Bonds

Mr. Nice Guy's licensed bail agents can process bail bonds for arrests throughout Southern California and offer bail premiums as low as 7%* (the lowest bail bond rate allowed in California). No other bail bondsman can offer lower rates. Call now, or start the bail bonds process online. (844) 400-BAIL (2245)

Some bail bond companies require an annual premium on the anniversary of charges, but Mr. Nice Guy never does that. Once you've secured a bond through Mr. Nice Guy Bail Bonds, there are no additional fees or recurring charges. Mr. Nice Guy will even work with you on establishing a payment plan for a bail bond, to help get yourself or a loved one out of jail when you're on a budget. It just doesn't get much nicer than that!

Other online services include free warrant checks and a direct link to the most Sheriff's Department databases.

If you need a bail bond in Southern California: if you want fast, private service at the best rates available; if you are looking for professional service, call Mr. Nice Guy toll free at (844)400-2245.